061: From Event Execution to COVID-19 Testing with Digital Tools
On today’s episode, Thom and Craig welcome Ryan Choura, an event builder who has turned the devastation of a global pandemic into an opportunity for service and growth. Before the pandemic, Ryan’s company focused on superior event planning and execution, but now that the event industry has gone into hibernation, he has set his sights on something far more essential and meaningful. After spending 90 days researching and perfecting the best possible COVID-19 testing experience, Choura Events is set to become the largest testing company in the nation. Ryan shares the motivation behind creating a more effective testing company and offers advice to anyone that is looking for ways to build their career by helping where help is needed most.
On today’s podcast, you will learn:
Using digital tools for event execution
- Ryan highlights the key role of digital tools for industries of every kind.
- Digital tools provide the virtual simulation needed to visualize spaces in event planning and execution.
- Digital tools assist in meeting the quick turnaround requirements for event planning.
Pivoting from event planning to COVID-19 testing
- COVID-19 has changed the spacial requirements that must be met at events.
- The devastation of the pandemic has given Ryan’s company the opportunity to use their rapid building skills in a new way.
- The output experience at hospitals has to change in light of COVID-19 testing, and Ryan’s company is prepared to make that change happen.
- A comparison of the output of an average testing facility compared to what Ryan’s new testing company will be able to service.
Career advice for times of forced change
- Use the assets and skills you have to bring good to the world.
- Have open hands and don’t hold too tightly to the way things currently are.
- Look for problems and find ways to provide better solutions.
- Examine your network and make yourself valuable within it.
- Have a vision for the challenges that are placed in front of you.
Do you have an example of extraordinary efforts or innovation during these unprecedented times? We would love to hear your story and possibly interview you for an upcoming episode. Please reach out to us at www.DigitalEnterpriseSociety.org
Ryan Choura is a next-generation CEO, writer, and speaker who is leading his company, Choura Events, to be listed as one of the top 100 fastest growing companies in Los Angeles three years in a row by LA Business Journal. He founded the Los Angeles-based creative event agency in 2007 with a mission to build life-changing event experiences, such as the ESPYS, X-Games, Coachella, Stagecoach, LB Grand Prix. Ryan considers his most significant impact to be his company culture, fostering high levels of trust, creativity, and conviction. He credits his personal growth to the generosity of critical life mentors and in turn, openly writes and is requested to speak about invaluable lessons learned such as the need to focus on internal success while being driven to achieve external success.